Wednesday, December 12, 2007

WHY me?

Ellie's new favorite word is "why". I was hoping we'd make it through the twos without it. Everything I ask, tell, or say to her is answered with "Why?" or sometimes "Why, Mommy?" Even the simplest things.

"Ellie, put your shoes on."

"Why?"

"Because we have to go outside."

"Why?"

"To get to the car."

"Why?"

"So we can get to Jazzercise."

"Why?"

and on and on and on.....

Why do we have to stop at red lights?
Why do the ducks stick their heads in the water?
Why does she have to sit in the back?
Why can't she sleep in our bed?
Why, why, why??????

I wish I had a dollar for all the times I've said, "Because I said so." in the last few days. I remember my mom used to say "Because I'm the mom, that's WHY!" I'm saving that little gem until she's a little older.
The best is when she asks me why about something that I really have no idea about and I tell her I just don't know. That throws her for a loop. When she asks why I don't know, I have a very hard time not throwing a sarcastic and not very nice reply back. I know all this questioning is actually good because it means she is inquisitive and is just discovering her world. But it's wearing me out. My brain is turning to mush.

No comments: